Moving into a new home is an exciting time, but roofing issues can complicate the air of celebration. To make your roof replacement as smooth as possible, we’ve compiled a list of the most crucial things to do and not to do when going through a roof replacement. By sticking to these simple rules, you can better avoid pitfalls and delays in your roofing project.
The Do’s of Roofing Projects
For the optimal outcome, don’t skip any of these essential steps:
- Consider materials: While you can replace the existing roof with the same materials, you should consult a vetted contractor to determine if there are better options that fall within your budget.
- Consider aesthetics: A new roof is going to be crowning your home for the next 20 to 30 years, so it’s important that it match your vision and aesthetics. Don’t be afraid to explore color and style combinations.
- Check ratings: High-quality roofing material manufacturers offer wind and fire ratings to help you decide on the level of protection that is right for your new home.
- Consider a second layer: If you’re interested in maximizing the life span of a new roof, an additional layer of roofing may be worthwhile.
The Don’ts of Roofing Projects
To avoid any mishaps during your roofing project, make sure that you don’t:
- Forget to check your HOA: HOAs are known to be restrictive, so check to confirm that your roofing choice doesn’t clash with the rules.
- Add layers without inspection: Adding multi-layer roofing without testing the structural integrity of your home and roof with a qualified inspector can be dangerous.
- Let a contractor cut corners: Some contractors may suggest saving money by cutting corners on things like flashing, sealants, or felt paper. This will result in a poor-quality job that you will only have to shell out more for down the line.
- Allow ventilation blockage: If a contractor blocks any ventilation systems during replacement, it can cause temperature issues that will shorten the new roof’s life span.
How To Pick a Qualified Roofing Contractor
The most important element of getting ready for roof repairs or a replacement is making sure you pick a contractor who will handle your home with the care it deserves, providing quality materials and service. Look for a contractor that:
- Has numerous, verifiable positive reviews and references in your area.
- Provides a detailed written estimate for materials, labor, and timeline.
- Is licensed, bonded, and insured.
- Offers a limited warranty.
How To Prepare for a Roofing Project
When it’s time for construction to begin, the major steps to take come down to:
- Protecting your yard: Cover your plants and lawn around the home with tarps to catch falling shingles and debris during removal and installation.
- Protecting your home: Vibrations may shake the walls, causing pictures, other wall hangings, and fragile shelved items to fall. Remove these items to a protected area.
Another thing to consider is how to keep children and pets away from the work zone. Keep kids and animals inside or have them stay outside of the home to avoid potential injury by falling debris or nails.
Schedule Roofing Repair or Replacement Today
Now that you know what to look for when replacing a roof, you’ll understand why Colonial Contracting, Inc. is Northern Virginia’s roofing contractor of choice. With free inspections and a sterling reputation, you can count on us to complete your roof replacement safely and efficiently.
Call us today at (703) 754-9551 to schedule a free, no-obligation roofing inspection in Northern Virginia.